Calf implants also known as calf augmentation, is a procedure to increase the size and shape of the calf.
There are many reasons why people choose to have a calf augmentation surgery. Some of those reasons are:
- Increasig th size of your calves
- Feeling more confident showing your legs
- Adding balance to better complement body contours
- Enhancing self-image
- Achieving symmetry
- Calf augmentation procedures are generally performed in the Erasmuskloof Cure Day Clinic.
- You may experience pain and a burning sensation for a week or more.
- Exercise may only be re-convened after 6 weeks post-operative.
- Dr van Rooyen may prescribe some pain medication and in certain instances antibiotics.
- Generally this surgery only has dissolvable stitches.
- Most of your bandages should be removed once after 48 hours. After these have been removed you will be allowed to bathe and shower normally.
- You are not allowed to exercise for 6 weeks.
- You may scar. please note that scarring may take up to a year to heal and in some patients it will always leave some mark
The decision to have plastic surgery is extremely personal, and you’ll have to decide if the benefits will achieve your goals and if the risks and potential complications of surgery are acceptable.
You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure and any risks involved.
Surgery risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Poor wound healing
- Skin loss
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Skin discoloration and/or prolonged swelling
- Unfavorable scarring
- Recurrent looseness of skin
- Fatty tissue found deep in the skin might die (fat necrosis)
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Suboptimal aesthetic result
- Possibility of revisional surgery
- Persistent pain
These risks and others will be fully discussed prior to your consent. It’s important that you address all your questions directly with Dr van Rooyen.
NOTICE: We DO NOT give quotations telephonically or via e-mail. For any quotations or prices the patient is required to consult with the doctor first, only thereafter will we be able to give the patient a quotation or estimate. Thank you for your co-operation.