MASTOPEXY (BREAST LIFT)
A Mastopexy is a cosmetic surgery procedure to lift the breast by removing excess skin, reshaping and lifting the nipple. Sometimes the procedure is done with the placement of prosthesis in order to provide the patient with a fuller look. The exact procedure is tailored to meet a woman’s individual needs.
There are many reasons why women choose to have a Breast Lift. Some of those reasons are:
- Restoring breast fullness and projection of sagging or drooping breasts after pregnancies or weight loss
- Reshaping scooped out breasts
- Fixing downwards pointing nipples or reducing areola size
- Feeling more confident in a swimsuit
- Adding balance to better complement curvy hips
- Enhancing self-image
- Achieving symmetry
- Breast Lift procedures are generally performed in the Erasmuskloof Cure Day Clinic.
- You may experience an uncomfortable pressing feeling on your chest as well as pain and a burning sensation for a week or more.
- Exercise may only be re-convened after 6 weeks post-operative
You’ll want to keep the following in mind:
- It’s safe to have mammograms , so be sure to maintain regular screening as prescribed by your doctor.
- It is important to have frequent mammogram check ups.
- Future pregnancies or weight fluctuations may affect your results, and a secondary surgery may be needed to correct any changes you are unhappy with over time.
- Nothing can stop the normal aging process; over time, breast tissue will change. You can help prevent unnecessary sagging by wearing a bra with adequate support for your activity level.
- Dr van Rooyen may prescribe some pain medication and in certain instances antibiotics.
- You will have bandages and (only in some cases) drainage tubes when you wake up. Once you leave the Day Clinic you will be required to empty these drains and measure the contents thereof. Please empty the drain on the day that you go home at 8PM. Thereafter you should empty the drains and measure the contents every 12 Hours (8AM-8PM). Once you are home, you are required to phone us daily after you have taken your 8AM reading and give us the evening and morning reading.
- Generally this surgery only has dissolvable stitches.
- Most of your bandages should be removed once Dr van Rooyen removes the drains. After these have been removed you will be allowed to bathe and shower normally. Before the drains have been removed you will not be allowed to get them wet and should take caution when washing yourself.
- You will receive a compression bra which you should sleep in for 2 weeks. It should be worn during the day for 6 weeks. You are not allowed to wear a bra with underwire for 3 months. This garment helps to alleviate swelling and pain and offers support.
- You are not allowed to exercise for 6 weeks.
- You may scar. please note that scarring may take up to a year to heal and in some patients it will always leave some mark
The decision to have plastic surgery is extremely personal, and you’ll have to decide if the benefits will achieve your goals and if the risks and potential complications of surgery are acceptable.
You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure and any risks.
Surgery risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Poor wound healing
- Skin loss
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Skin discoloration and/or prolonged swelling
- Unfavorable scarring
- Recurrent looseness of skin
- Fatty tissue found deep in the skin might die (fat necrosis)
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Suboptimal aesthetic result
- Possibility of revisional surgery
- Persistent pain
These risks and others will be fully discussed prior to your consent. It’s important that you address all your questions directly with Dr van Rooyen.
NOTICE: We DO NOT give quotations telephonically or via e-mail. For any quotations or prices the patient is required to consult with the doctor first, only thereafter will we be able to give the patient a quotation or estimate. Thank you for your co-operation.